This is one question that we get from clients every day, and rightfully so – as that is what we do – improve your website. Sometimes, the simplest changes to copy or adding images and videos to your website could dramatically improve your search engine rank and user experience throughout your site.
Here are a few things that you can do today to improve your website for better search engine performance, digital marketing efforts and user experience. Each of which will help to drive more conversions, direct bookings and return on your website investment.
Your website, and every action that a visitor could potentially take on it should be tied to your marketing goals, and ultimately the strategic, organizational goals set forth by leadership at your hotel. Define 3 primary website goals and measure them relentlessly.
Use your PMS data to inform your strategy, website design and decision making process.
Site content and design elements such as layout, messaging, calls-to-action, architecture (page structure) and navigation can be designed with data driving the decision process.
When analyzing your guest data in your marketing strategy and website build, keep the following in mind:
Identify your best guest: What does your most valuable guest look like (demographic and geographic)?
- What messages are important to this guest?
- How does your brand appeal to this guest?
- Define engagement points throughout the guest journey: hotel research, hotel selection, booking, pre-stay, post-stay, win-back – these are all essential guest engagement stages that your website needs to deliver on.
- Where can we engage these guests and more like them? Understand the channels that are important to your best guest and have a plan to reach them.
Deploying better, more intelligent marketing efforts
- Define your media plan for 12 months including at least 2 seasonal campaigns that change every quarter.
- Use email, social media and other media outlets to push out those campaigns across all guest engagement points.
- Your 12 month plan should take into account seasonality and maximizing conversion during peak periods.
- Focus on analysis of data that is goal-related and eliminate everything else, otherwise data becomes overwhelming and distracting.
- Book Direct approach: make this central to the website’s messaging and all outward marketing campaigns.
- Site architecture: Limit the number of pages to help mobile users navigate your site and convert more quickly.
- Define a purpose and user goal for each page. Include an FAQ page for mobile voice search
- Continually measure against your competitive set.
From the Beginning, Design with the Mobile Experience in Mind
Think of how mobile-users might click through your website and build to fit their needs
- In 2017, global share of mobile searches surpassed that of searches conducted on desktop for the first time
- Make all relevant calls-to-action (CTAs), contact information and booking options are easy to find
- Google has begun ranking websites based on the mobile experience. This means that if your website is not responsive, it could have a negative impact on your search engine performance.
- Limit the number of pages to help mobile users navigate your site quickly
- Define a purpose and user goal for each page
Leverage Live PMS Data for Use In Highly Granular, Wholly-Integrated Marketing Campaigns
The days of trial and error are over – filtered, organized segmentation takes the guess work out of identifying and marketing to audiences that are most profitable
- Create fully integrated marketing campaigns utilizing PMS data
- Site content and design elements such as layout, content or navigation can be designed with data driving the decision process.
- Define guest engagement points throughout the guest journey – from the travel research stage to hotel selection and booking, pre-stay, post-stay, win-back – how does your website satisfy your guests needs at each stage?
Prepare for the increase in voice searches by incorporating keyword phrases that resemble spoken queries into your SEO or PPC targeting strategy
- Use longer keywords and phrases that are 3 – 5 words long
- Example: Keyword phrases such as “Hotels closest to downtown Atlanta…” or “Hotel with rooftop bar near me…” can be incorporated into your website content
- A good FAQ page can help you in this effort
Integrate Hotel-Specific Schema.Org Markup Throughout Your Site
- Schema.org utilizes search engine “vocabulary” that tells the search engines what the content is on your page allowing the search engine to properly rank and display your content
Attention to ADA Best Practices
- Ensure that your website’s underlying HTML markup follows ADA guidelines as closely as possible. It’s also a good idea to provide a page dedicated to your commitment to adhering to ADA guidelines that can speak to the concerns of site users with disabilities
Utilize Images and Video to Tell Your Brand Story
Imagery and video that is visceral and captures emotion will tell your brand story faster and in a way that is easily consumed by the user
- Steer away from the over-use of textual elements in the style of the site
- Design elements should be complimentary to this, not over powering
Claim Your Business
- Claim and verify your Google My Business listing and regularly respond to reviews
- Check directory listings around the web and make sure your URL, Name, Address, and Phone (UNAP) are accurate and consistent throughout. Consistency is key to appearing in local search results
- Visit vizergy.com for a free UNAP scan of 60+ of the most popular directories.
Keep Your Content Fresh and Relevant
For optimal SEO value, keep the content and messaging on your site up-to-date and relevant to your target audience
- Write content for the user first, and SEO second. Keyword integration should be natural and conversational.
- Write unique page titles and meta descriptions that let the user know what the page is about
Define 3 primary website goals and measure them relentlessly
Focus on analysis of data that is goal-related and eliminate everything else, otherwise data becomes overwhelming and distracting
- Continually measure against your competitive set
- Evaluate your performance against your website goals and adjust accordingly every quarter
The possibilities in website improvement are endless; however, time, budget and resources to accomplish such improvements are not. We are here to help!
For over 20 years, Vizergy has provided best-in-class website design, technology and digital marketing solutions for independent hoteliers, brands and management companies. Our website development and design teams have the necessary knowledge and expertise your hotel needs to find success online.
Call (904)389-1130 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget to ask about TargetingHub™!
Identify your most profitable guests and find more just like them. Deploy smarter marketing campaigns to target those individuals.
Visit targetinghub.com for more information.